“WHAT is Omega-3?”
– Omega-3 fatty acids are polyunsaturated fatty acids. This is different from typical fats you want to cut back on. Primarily found in plant or marine source, not only your body needs hese fatty acids to function, but they bring a long list of health benefits.
The three most import types of Omega-3 fatty acids are: Alpha-linoleic acid (ALA), Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), and Docohexaenoic acid (DHA). ALA is found in plant oils such as emp, flaxseed or algal oil whereas EPA and DHA are found in marine source- fish oil, krill oil, and seal oil.
“WHO should take Omega-3?”
- People suffering from chronic inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis.
- People with compromised cardiovascular health, such as stroke and hypertension.
- Pregnant women- the fetus uses omega-3 for its nervous system development.
- Lactating women- omega-3 fatty acids are used after birth to make breast milk.
- Infant and children- omega-3s help with development of brain and eyes.
“WHY take Omega-3?”
- -Cardiovascular Health : Omega-3 can lower blood pressure in people with hypertension, and lower blood fat triglyceride, high level of which can increase risk of heart disease.
- -Inflammation : A 2013 systematic review on omega-3 fatty acids by Robinson and Mazurak found that consumption of marine sourced omega-3 lowered inflammatory markers in blood such as C-reactive protein. EPA and DHA also reduce inflammation by stimulating the breakdown of fibrin, a protein involved in inflammatory responses.
- -Rheumatoid Arthritis : EPA and DHA can modestly curb stiffness and joint pain associated with Rheumatoid arthritis. Omega-3 supplements also seem to boost the effectiveness of anti-inflammatory drugs.
- -Baby Development : DHA and EPA help with development of brain and eyes. A study by Plos One in June 2013 linked low levels of DHA with poorer reading, memory and behaviourial problems in healthy school-age children.
“Why Seal Oil?”
- -No fishy after-smell.
- -Superior quality : Mann et al., Lipids 2010, in press suggested that seal oil with DPA has more positive impact on cardiovascular health than fish oil.
- -From unpolluted Arctic ocean : All our seal oil is from Harp Seal living in unpolluted Northern Canada.